Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Staying the Course

We met with Chad's oncologist yesterday morning. The appointment was pretty uneventful, for the most part.
Last week, the doctor's office called to let us know there was no change in Chad's tumors. No change for the bad. No change for the good. His disease is stable right now.
It's hard to say if the chemo is working to keep growth at bay, or if the tumors are dormant on their own. Who can say?

Dr. Campbell's first inclination was to try something different, since seven rounds of Temodar don't seem to be doing much. After some research of our own, we've decided to stay with Chad's current treatment for a full year. Studies indicate that it could take 12-18 months to show any real results....so, we wait some more. Dr. C agrees with us, and I think she was quite pleased that we've done so much research on our own.

We are not going to do radiation right now. It doesn't seem to be a good option since Chad is feeling so good, and has no other signs/symptoms. His seizures are under control, and there really isn't any other deficit so far. Which is great, great news.

I have to admit it is incredibly frustrating not to have the answers I so desperately want. I want to know everything that could, could not or could even remotely possibly happen. His doctors just don't know.
If anything, this is teaching me to be more patient (goodness knows I need that, Mrs. EverythingRightNow!) and to release control over the things for which I have no control.

So, stay the course.
Five more months of chemo until a full year has been reached. And I hope that we'll have some detectable change then.

Thanks, as always, for your continued support & prayers! We'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Aunt Carmen said...

Stable is good news! I'm so glad you are feeling better Chad and we will all hope for even better news at the one year mark!
We love you guys!