Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Friday Feast: Part Siete

I planned to have several different recipes for you today, but I just haven't had the chance. Next week, maybe.

We love Mexican food - we could eat it every day. The girls love it too, probably because I feasted on guacamole, hot salsa, and spicy quesadillas while they were in utero. They popped right out (well, with some ample pushing and cursing on my part) with a natural craving for spicy goodness, melted cheese galore and earthy cilantro.

We're meeting a bunch of friends tonight for dinner (at a Mexican joint, of course!), so I'm getting the night off. Whee!


Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
1 pint sour cream
1 can petite diced tomatoes with chilies & onions
3 cooked & cubed chicken breasts
6 flour tortillas, cut in half
2 cups shredded cheese
(we always use Monterrey-Jack, but you can use other varieties)
1 small can black olives, sliced
Fresh cilantro to taste (I use A LOT)
fresh spinach (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 9x13" pan with cooking spray, then spread about
half the can of enchilada sauce in the bottom.
In a bowl, mix sour cream, soup, tomatoes/chilies/onions and chicken.
Layer four tortillas, then spread half the chicken mixture on top.
Repeat tortilla layer and then chicken layer.
I added a layer of fresh spinach because I was too lazy to make a side salad that night. And, it's cold & flu season - spinach is chock full of vitamin C and B6. And the kids don't know what it is when I disguise it, so I try to get it in as much as I can.
Finish with another layer of tortillas, the rest of the enchilada sauce, cheese & olives.
Bake for 30-45 minutes.
If you see that the cheese is browning to quickly, just cover it with a loose layer of foil.

No comments: