Friday, October 3, 2008

From the Lanford kitchen

I've been thinking of adding a little something to my blog - because I often can't think of a single thing to write! I know you adore my children's shenanigans, and my stories about Wal-Mart...but you deserve a little more.

I love to cook - absolutely adore spending time in the kitchen. So, I thought, I should share my favorite recipes with you! (Now if you'd like to come over and help me clean the kitchen afterwards, I might give you some brownie points!)

Introducing the Friday Feast. Every Friday. Yum, Yum, Yum.

Enjoy!

Pesto Pasta









12 oz box of bowtie pasta
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 lb fresh green beans or asparagus, cut into bite size pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 small zucchini, thinly sliced (or fresh broccoli)
2 cloves garlic
1 c prepared pesto (one small jar)
1/4 c heavy cream (you can use milk, too)
1 c grape tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt

Boil pasta as package directs. Drain, set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet. Cook green beans (or asparagus) and bell pepper for about 5 minutes. Add garlic & zucchini - cook about 2 minutes. You want the veggies to keep their crunch - so don’t let them get too soft.
Stir in pesto & cream. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Remove from heat.
Add pasta to sauce mixture and toss well.

This is a favorite in our house! We prefer the asparagus version, but it’s pretty tasty either way you choose. Very yummy cold or warm - even better after it sits in the fridge overnight. Is great by itself, or with some nice, crusty bread.

I topped this one off with some freshly grated Fontinella cheese because I had it in the fridge.
I sliced some french bread, drizzled with EVOO and broiled for about 5 minutes at 500 degrees.



And since I am LOVING this Fall weather change, I made a Pumpkin Pound Cake. I only made it because I'm in serious withdrawls from the great & wonderful Pumpkin Bread made by my mother-in-law Sandy. She makes the world's best pumpkin bread, which I have tried to make - it just never tastes the same...HINT HINT Sandy! Grease those coffee cans & bake us some famous Lanford pumpkin bread! (Please!)

This recipe satisfies my cravings for now, complete with candied pecans on top.


Pumpkin Pound Cake

















3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
4 eggs


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan well (I swear by Wilton's Cake Release - it's awesome!). Sift together the dry ingredients. Combine the oil, water, pumpkin & eggs. Slowly add dry ingredients until well mixed.

Bake for 60 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack before you try to do the cake flip.

4 comments:

Carla said...

I love pasta and that looks soo yummy. I might freak Ryan out and cook something out of the ordinary! I'll have to get really motivated though:). Posting recipes...great idea...especially for people like me with no imagination in the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious Skye. Especially the Pumpkin cake! I'll have to try both recipes soon. I didn't know you were such a good cook!

Sip said...

sounds yummy - i can't wait to try the pasta! i love asparagus, even though it makes your pee stink.

Melissa said...

If you're going to post this kind of stuff I'm going to need you to block Brian from reading your blog. I received this post copied in to an email from him with a note that said "why don't you cook like this?" I like you a lot but this isn't going to work ;) Help a sister out and cook some hamburger helper now and then ok?